PUBLIC RELATIONS (MA)
Become a force in the field of communication with Emerson’s master’s program in Public Relations. In this program, you will learn what it takes to successfully target individuals and communities through current social media and emerging technologies.
As a student in the Public Relations MA program, you will:
- Develop effective public relations campaigns and strategies.
- Maintain a positive reputation and continuously build brand identity.
- Match media types, writing style, and effective messages targeted to specific audiences.
- Leverage the latest technologies in the industry.
- Understand the role of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other forms of diversity in the workforce.
- Distinguish between the needs of communication across a broad array of industries.
- Apply concepts of user experience design to websites, apps, online content, videos, and mobile communication.
Our Public Relations program is incredibly versatile—complete it part-time or full-time, in anywhere from one to three years. Courses are offered primarily in the evening so working professionals have the flexibility they need to participate in our program.
Program Curriculum (36 Credit Hours)
Required Courses (6 courses, 24 credits)
- CC 608 Public Affairs
- CC 648 Public Relations
- CC 647 Organizational Communication
- CC 652 Emerging Communication Technology
- CC 645 Research Methods and Practice
- CC 692 Capstone or CC 699 Thesis*
(* CC 699 Thesis Option requires 8 credits; total of core is increased to 20 credits)
Sample Elective Courses (3 courses, 12 credits)
- CC 604 Strategic Planning and the Managerial Process
- CC 621 Content Development and Strategy
- CC 623 Public Diplomacy
- CC 624 Campaign Management
- CC 626 Crisis Communication
- CC 628 Entrepreneurship and Creative Problem Solving
- CC 632 Sports as Soft Power
- CC 633 Sports, Culture, and Society
- CC 636 Negotiation and Group Process
- CC 640 User Experience Design
- CC 643 Global Communication
- CC 655 Project Management and Communication
- CC 690 Internship in PR
- CC 695 Seminar in PR
- CC 697 Directed Study